Herman Bailey

April 4, 1932 - September 28, 2013

Surrounded by his family, Herman Bailey was peacefully carried home in the loving arms of our Savior on September 28, 2013 at 5:00 a.m. With his wife, Jimmie Bailey, by his side, he passed at his home. Also present were his sons, Gary and Keith Bailey. Herman courageously fought a 16-year battle with cancer. He died at the age of 81.

Herman was born in Pitkin, Louisiana in 1932. He married his wife of 59 years, Jimmie Faye Martin, on July 16, 1954. Herman was a devoted Christian man who enjoyed reading his bible daily. He proudly served his country in the United States Army during the Korean War from 1952-1954. Herman worked for Southwestern Bell for 35 years before retiring in 1987. He was a loyal and dedicated member of the CWA Local 6215, a 32nd Degree Mason at R.C. Buckner Lodge in Dallas, and a member of the Telephone Pioneers of America. Herman enjoyed hunting, fishing and traveling, but most important to him was spending time with his grandchildren. He appreciated the simple gifts in life and the meaning of family. Herman greatly valued his friendships with high school classmates, Southwestern Bell coworkers, the fellowship at High Pointe Church of Christ, and his faithful doughnut buddies. His passing saddens our daily lives on earth but strengthens our faith and keeps us striving for an eternal reunion beside him in Heaven. We will keep his memories close and carry on his legacy until we are reunited with him in God’s kingdom.

Herman is survived by his wife, Jimmie Bailey, of McKinney, his two sons, Gary Bailey and wife Alisa of Plano, and Keith Bailey of McKinney, and his grandchildren, Brittany Nicole Bailey, Jordan Michael Bailey, Chelsey Jensen Bailey, Austin Scott Bailey, and Alexandra Nicole Bailey.

Herman is preceded in death by his mother and stepfather, Zela and Walter Struthers.        

A funeral service was held on Thursday, October 3, at Turrentine Jackson Morrow Chapel in Allen, Texas. Interment followed at DFW National Cemetery in Dallas, Texas. The family welcomed friends during a visitation held on Wednesday evening at the funeral home.